November 15, 2008

For Hire

Well I have officially applied for three jobs. My friend Ashleigh and I went driving through Angleton on Friday and randomly pulled over at places we thought would be cool to work at. Now that cheerleading is cooling off, I have time to devote to working world. Here are a few of my employment-seeking-christmas-money-needing-adventures.
We went to The Jade Shoppe. It is a small place of formal wear and such. Pretty neat place for Angleton anyway. We could dress all nice and probably get a discount on a prom dress. They were actually really nice and gave us an application and clipboard and told us we could sit down and fill it out. This was our first fully filled out application we would turn in. However, when we spoke to the lady afterwards, she said they probably wouldn't hire until the end of December because that's when people start looking at prom. So it was good, but we need work now, before Christmas. We then proceeded to go down the street to a cute little coffee/gift shop place called Sunny Hearts. It was adorable! The lady said she might need some seasonal help, but then she couldn't find the applications because they just filed everything away in a new system.or something. So that place didn't happen for us.
We went to probably about 5 dollar stores. The only place we received an application was King Dollar. We had actually never been in, but oh well. This was a desperate measure. This is only if I don't get accepted anywhere else. It didn't seem as crappy or smelly as some dollar stores tend to be, and they had some pretty cool stuff, so it wouldn't be all too bad. One dollar store had a computer to sit at and apply. Ashleigh did and she got all done and at the end it said it didn't have any current positions available for our wants. That was a waste of our life. The other dollar stores had like one person working at the register and they seemed akward and told us to come back another time when the manager would be there. Forget them. King Dollar was the first place that actually gave us an paper application right away ; we filled it out and turned it in later that day.
We ran into some ghetto places. We went to the Pets and Plants, but we saw a huge snake in a cage and it smelled like poo, so we just walked out. Another place was a beauty shop. We pulled in and it had posters of all black women. We pulled right back out. We tried the CVS in Angleton and it smelled like maybe some substance abuse? Not really sure what the smell was, but it was rancid. And the place had to be king of the ghettos. Then they said we had to apply online anyway. Well I most certainly will not be giving them my time.
Well, there was a lot more, but I will end on a good note. The last place I got an application at was The Family Flower Shop. It was a cute little shop by the hospital. The older lady was really nice and said she was actually looking for some part-time help. The hours would be really good and everything. We had to actually give our drivers license number and she asked if our driving record was clean. I assume we would probably be doing deliveries and such. Which makes for the convenient location by the hospital. I felt really good about that application and really hope I get that job. It was my favorite place by far.
So wish me luck as I wait for these phone calls. I might try somewhere else this week, but we'll see. Hopefully somebody will hire me!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

You could always try asking the employment specialist people in the ward. They might know of some jobs that are good for ya. Don't forget to look in the papers too. They'll always have want ads in the classifieds, especially for the holidays. Good luck lolo, and let me know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

good luck with the job hunt! in san saba, my fathers family owns the local funeral home, and has for generations. i used to deliver flowers from the funeral home to the church's for services, and then to the graveside. my car always smelled soooooo good.

i bet places like wal mart and kroger will be needing seasonal help. or maybe walk around the mall in lake jackson and apply. or is that too far away to mess with?

Bentoxic said...

Too many black people on posters??? Honestly... I really hope that isn't why you decided not to apply there.