Well the games have come and gone for the 2008 Olympic games. Now I feel this strange emptiness inside. Its like Harry Potter just ended. All the excitement of staying up late to watch stars like Phelps and Luikin perform is gone. Even watcing the weird sports was cool. The Olympics were the end of my summer. I watched them in the morning, afternoon, and night somedays. Others I wold just watch clips of what I could. But now our country's athletes leave China and return to training hardcore for 2012. Thats four years away! Too long.
It almost felt like, for a brief moment, especially this year, that the world just came together and felt peace because of the common love for sports. Ahh, the Olympics...every athletes dream. Who wouldnt want the chance to show the world you can do amazing things, and yet are still human like the rest of us? Who wouldnt want the chance to carry your country's flag , no matter how big or small, with the rest of the world? It's inspiring to know what we can do with our bodies and a little determination. Its awesome to live in America where we rock, and totally have some awesome athletes. But it's also cool to hear stories of countries like Somalia, who sent only two, very skinny, very poor, athletes. Even though they both finished last in their events, they got to see buildings they thought were made of magic and their country stopped worrying about their civil wars for that one night and scrambled together to find a broadcast of the race to see their runners, whom they had treated poorly before then. I mean, what an experience for those people! That's the beauty of the games. Magic happens. And even if you just watch at home you get to see history being made (can anyone say 8 golds for one person?) and live the experience of witnessing it. I cannot wait for the London games.
2 comments:
This year was the most fun I have ever had watching the Olympic games. Retep and I were really into them and stayed up late one too many times, but well worth it to watch the U.S. kick butt in quite a few events! I'm such a sucker for the awe inspiring stories.
I am so with you, sister. I love the Olympics. It should be interesting in 2012. I will be 38!!
Post a Comment